This smartphone app will assist judges in ensuring that each participant in that debate round speaks for the allotted amount of time.
One app is “Debate Timer”: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=col.alphalamco.debatetimer&hl=en
You have to create your own custom timers. For our purpose, do the following:
- Select the pencil icon in the top right corner
- Select the plus sign in the top right corner
- Select “New Normal Debate”
- Name the timer “MYDT Constructive”, and set the times to: First bell = 60 seconds, Second bell = 240 seconds, Last bell = 300 seconds, then select “Create”
- Select the plus-sign again, and select “New Normal Debate”
- Name the timer “MYDT Rebuttal”, and set the times to: First bell = 0 seconds, Second bell = 120 seconds, Last bell = 180 seconds, then select “Create”
Remeber that the first 4 speeches are Constructive (5 min each). The last 2 speeches are Rebuttals (3 min each).
The only quirk with this timer is that the Second Bell makes 2 bell rings, if the debaters hear the 2-ring bell, they might think the debate is over (this happened to me before). So make sure to tell them to ignore the bells, and instead to ONLY listen for the bang on the desk.